The Palmer House
Doctors Frank E Palmer and Elizabeth Hamilton were married and moved from Ohio to Albion in 1882. The house was built soon after and served as a residency, office and infirmary. Both Palmers practiced general medicine for seventeen years where they took care of seriously ill patients and offered refuge to runaways and orphans.
Born in Republic, Ohio on November 29, 1852, Elizabeth graduated medical school at what is now known as the University of Surgery and Medicine in Cleveland. Along with running the clinic with her husband, she served as a member of the executive committee of the E.L.T. Club and as president of the Albion Board of Education. Sadly, she took her own life on July 7, 1899.
Frank enlisted in the US Civil War at age fifteen and graduated from the same medical school. After Elizabeth’s death he closed the office and devoted his time to business. He became president of the Albion Buggy Company, director of the Albion Malleable Iron Company, director of the Commercial & Savings Bank and Albion’s 15th mayor in 1903.
After Elizabeth’s death, the house was sold to Dr. A. B. Grant who worked and lived there for a number of years. Since then, the house has seen multiple owners and eventually became a historic site and bed and breakfast.
Dave and Corinne Atchison have been managing the Palmer House since July 2015. Prior to moving to Albion, Dave served 27 years honorably in the United States Navy, retiring as a commissioned officer, while Corinne was a teacher. Both spend their time managing the business and enjoying Albion with their two pugs, Teddy and Eleanor.
Frank Palmer and Elizabeth Palmer